Posts tagged Processing
So my work with Processing turned out to be immediately helpful in my XNA work; one of the things I did with Processing was create a sort of player that had a few different states with corresponding animations, so I basically ported that idea over to my Ne+ player. Now I have walking under its corresponding animation, and sprites for standing, jumping, falling, and crouching. I think that crouching is turning out to be pointless right now, although only because I’m not moving the physics object in such a way that it would dodge anything. I’m not going to worry about it at the moment, it can be a purely visual thing for now. The next thing I did was create a simple sprite for bullets, and start attaching lights to them as well. I hit a snag that I thought might be a Krypton issue for just a moment, but really what the problem is is that I am currently letting the player hold fire and shooting a bunch of bullets; the lights overlapping made them look like big red circles rather than a lit area, and I spent a couple moments tweaking Krypton values before realizing I just needed to add some limitation to the firing.
I’ve successfully finished my first Processing experiment. I’ll be sure to link to it when it goes live, but for now, I’m not exactly sure how I feel about it. I do think that it’s a worthwhile venture, but it’s kind of a solution waiting for a problem sort of thing. There is potential; I just have to come up with some ideas on how to utilize it. Now that I’ve finished it though, it’s time to get back to Ne+.
The new project I’ve started in Processing is going extremely well. I did have a bit of a rough time last night; I stayed up until 3AM figuring out how to make a project that would work in both Eclipse and the Processing editor, as well as provide me with a workable workflow. I still haven’t really figured it out; basically I need to keep the library I’m developing for it updated in two places. I’m sure I could write an Ant script to do this for me, but ugh… and the Processing plugin is okay, but for some reason I’ve lost out on autocompletion in the sketch files. I don’t know, there’s a couple issues I still have, but I definitely know what needs to happen to make everything work in the meantime. I should mention that I made a big step as far as deployment goes too; it’s another process I’m not entirely happy with, but after I follow it I am basically able to deploy whatever I’ve done to a blog post. I should also mention that it didn’t work on Internet Explorer… I’m sure there’s a solution for that, but… I’m just not going to deal with it right now.
Isn’t that interesting? Now I can develop things and then put them on my website! Of course we all knew this was possible, but I had just avoided diving into Java and Processing until now. I even ported over the component system that I’m using in Ne+ and have a sprite library that should handle animations for me, although I haven’t made an animation to test with, and I also polished the dialog box I made so that it works pretty well. I still need to figure out how I’m going to make the little triangles that come out of it and point at who’s talking… What could I be up to, I wonder?
I just started playing with Processing, which seems to be a really cool Java-based tool for quickly writing simple applets and applications with a visual element. I have an idea of something that I’d like to try doing with it, so I’m going to grab Eclipse, configure a little environment, and see what I can do with it. I coded a little text function that writes character by character over time in basically no time at all, with easily customized options. Pull that into a class, and I’ve already got the beginning of a dialog box. And I should mention that I really don’t even know Java, but it’s easy enough to go between it and C#. I can see things getting confusing as I want to do more complex things, but really Processing aims to keep things simple and I’m all about that. My idea is an extremely small project, and I think that if I throw myself into it I could have it done really, really quickly. Which would be awesome, as I haven’t been able to look at any of my work and say “I definitely completed something here,” in a really long time. I hope this works out, my idea is actually kind of novel. If done right, it could be very neat. I’m going to wait a week or two before spilling the details, but for now know that it’s web based so that I can just rely on everyone having or downloading Java and relax knowing that my stuff probably works on most configurations.